Page 1 of 7
So the village was named Rezina to commemorate their kind deeds. The third legend narrates about Razanu, the owner of these lands, who was a very strong and courageous person constantly defending his land against the enemies. Before one of the battles he bequeathed his people to name the land after him in case he perishes. And the people did so to commemorate their kind master. This is what the legends say. The place of the initial settlement is not clearly determined. There is regrettably no archaeological evidence and it is supposed that the initial rural settlement was situated approximately near the brigde leading to Ribnita. The same Confirmation Charter dated February 5, 1495, reads that Rezina village was situated in the mouth of the Rezina river. The latter begins near Samarcani village, is 35 km long, flows along the Valea Rezinei valley and falls into the Dniester dividing the town of Rezina and Ciorna village. In the 16-18th centuries, division of lands was rather a frequently met phenomenon, and it didn't avoid Rezina lands, too. In 1590-1591, a part of Rezina village was granted to Magdalena, the sister of Petr Hohulea. Further on, on March 20, 1618, voivode Radu Mihnea confirms the acquisition of some parts of Rezina village by Irirmia Baiseanul. A year later the latter becomes full master of the village, and on July 20, 1668, his nephew, boyar Toderasco Jora, comes to possess it. Archival sources confirm the fact that on February 15, 1721, Rezina village was owned already by vornic (courtier) Ion Sturza, while under Moldovan Prince Constantin (1749-1753) a half of the village and subsequently the whole of it belonged to Iordache Cantacuzino. In 1774, there were 28 houses in Rezina. Various documents of the period give us the names of some Rezina inhabitants (about 26 persons) exempt from any duties and dues. These were Alexei Cojocar, Pavel Balan, Ionita Plugar, Danila Pislar, Ion Cibotari, Doroftei Sapunar, Miron Pilic and others. A monastery founded in 1700 played a special role. It was called Rizana by the locals. In 1829 the monastery was closed, with its property sold partly to Hirbovat monastery and partly to Jews. On a line with the whole of Bessarabia, Rezina village lived first through the Turkish yoke and then through that of the Russian Empire (over 100 years). As a result of the 1806-1812 Russian-Turkish war, Turkey and Russia divided Moldova according to their wishes. Russia forcefully annexed the territory between the Dniester and the Prut. So the Turkish yoke was substituted by the Russian domination. The population of the Prut-Dniester territory was cut from the State of Moldova, thus being isolated from the ethnic life of the people.